Saturday 27 June 2009: Aviemore to Kinross

Amazingly I woke at 4:40 and was away by 5;20. I'd heard rain in the night but it can't have been much. I was expecting the road south to be uphill both the gut feeling and what the woman in the "tourist information WC" had said about the next campsite after Aviemore being uphill. It wasn't, it was generally downhill with a few short ups. Made good time and stopped at 6:30 for breakfast. One of the best starts to the day I'd had and may be an early breakfast would ensure I kept the energy levels up.




I continued on the B9152 to Kingussie then joined the cycle track alongside the A9. Dire warnings on the track heading to Drumochter Summit: "no food or shelter for 30 km". But it did run only a few metres from the A9. The track varied from full width old A9 to singletrack. In places it was rough but generally good. The climb to the summit was gentle though not as gentle as the A9 itself. Near the top, the track went up and down like a fiddler's elbow, mainly to get over streams.

After the summit (457m) it was generally downhill to Calvine, where the cycle route continued on the B8079. I had a snack under the A9 and stopped at a cafe in Blair Atholl. It was still only just after 11 and I'd already done 50 miles. This had been a superb morning's run; probably the best I'd had.

I stayed on the road rather than rejoin the cycle track. I went straight through Pitlochry, which seemed to be a tourist Mecca. At the exit to the town I lost all reference to the cycle route so I went onto the A9. It was busy especially in patches but okay. Then after a few miles saw a cycle route sign pointing to an exit which I took and it was good. Went into Dunkeld and left following signs to Perth. The cycle track seemed to go round the houses and the signs were all over the place (first 18, then 12, then 13, then 18 again). Probably put up by two different teams!

I had to drag the bike up a long flight of steps at the station.

At Gauls I turned off the B867 (just before it joined the A9) and continued until I came across Cycle Route 77 beside the Almond and followed it some of the way into Perth. Minor problem in Perth when I became confused about which way was north. Once I started believing in my compass I headed round the ring road until I saw the A912 signposted. On the ring road I had a brief chat with some LEJOGers at some traffic lights (weather, route etc). Earlier on the track down from the "summit" I met another pair and had a fairly long chat. They were on day 18 doing B&B.

I continued along the A912 over the Bridge of Earn and after Kintillo I noticed (on my small-scale road atlas) what seemed to be a reasonable alternative route to Glenfarg on unclassified roads. This was a bit of a mistake because it involved a considerable climb. What was worse was that I began to doubt that it actually took me to Glenfarg, but having gone so far up it there was no way I was turning back. The road climbed over the M90 and eventually did head downhill to Glenfarg where I joined the B996, then turned right at the A91 which immediately became the B996 again. As I was entering Kinross I saw the sign to a campsite.
It turned out to be a farm and didn't look too promising on the approach but it was actually pretty good. Farmer very friendly, and pretty good facilities. Camped beside a picnic table. Before showering, I went into Kinross for supplies. Didn't appear to be a very attractive town with a wee bit of early evening yobbish behaviour, which seemed to be occupying the local bobbies.

Despite it being a bit overcast it was fairly warm and I had a very pleasant evening cooking at the picnic table, drinking beer and reading the paper. The family in the next tent a few yards away acted as if I didn't exist! Nice meal of chickpeas, peas, onions, chilli and pasta with wine.
Another excellent day. My furthest distance and I had gone better than usual, possibly because I ate at the optimum times. It could have been marred by the silly detour at the end but even that turned out well enough.

Campsite: Gallowhill Camping & Caravan Park , Gallowhill Road, Kinross. £5.70. Nice quiet site, good facilities, plenty of picnic tables.

Statistics
Distance 175.24 km (108.9 miles)
Time 10 hours: 12 minutes: 32 seconds
Average Speed 17.1 km/hour
Maximum Speed 49 km/hour
Distance from Lands End 2027.4 km
Total Time cycling 128:53

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers