Wednesday 10 June 2009: Lands End to Camelford

A few showers in the night. I woke at 4:20am and was all packed up by 5:20. I set off and discovered I had a flat tyre! These Marathon Pluses might not be all they are cracked up to be? But it turned out to be damage around the valve. Fitted new tube and was off by 5:42. No one else about.

Reached Lands End at 5:50. Not a soul about but lots of rabbits. Took the usual photos to prove I was there including one in the pink Breast Cancer Haven T-shirt.

As I left Lands End at 6 am the sun came out; some clouds but mostly blue sky. Hardly any wind. Took the A30 past Penzance and left it to go through Hayle and joined the road parallel to the A30, to Connor Downs where I stopped for breakfast at about 7:50 on a seat in the sun. I only had the remains of yesterday's sandwiches, because I hadn't seen any shops open.

A Morrison’s was open just before Redruth so I picked up some food and stopped for elevenses on the A392 just after Quintrell. Traffic had built up after about 10 am but didn't cause any problems. However, I did deviate from my planned route by turning left off the A392 at White Cross; I did this because I found the traffic noise irritating but it was probably the more sensible route anyway.

I stopped at Tesco's in Wadebridge to pick up food for the evening and then went into the town centre where I had a pasty (brilliant). Wadebridge is on the
‘Camel Path’. There were several large bike hire outlets and lots of cyclists about. I'd done about 95K; should I go to the campsite here or go on to Camelford? It was only 2 pm so I decided to go on even though it was mainly uphill. I set off in completely the wrong direction and had to backtrack -- I must get smarter in towns!

The road wasn't as hilly as I was expecting but I was tired and the road was very busy with fast cars, which often couldn't pass but no one took umbrage.

I arrived at Camelford just before 4 pm and found two campsites: the first didn't take tents, the second charged £19! But I was here now. No other tents and only a couple of touring caravans, so nice and quiet.

Cooked chilli bea
ns (kidney beans, onions, tomato puree, chilli powder and vegetable stock) with pasta, a couple of glasses of wine and coffee. Then went into Camelford for a beer (" Tinners Ale") Then back to the campsite where I stopped in the bar for a pint of ‘Dartmoor Ale’ and watched the first half of the England match.

From the map it looks like I could get beyond Exeter tomorrow but the next campsite looks like it's quite a way past.

And so to bed and I went out like a light!

Campsite: Juliet's Well (at £19 a night she should be) This was to be the most expensive of the whole trip. However, each pitch had its own power supply (no use to me) and the facilities were superb (individual bathrooms included a shower, wash basin and lavatory -- very clean and better than many hotels). A civilised bar too. All in all, good value for money though I wouldn't be able to afford this much every day.

Statistics
Distance 114 .82 km (71.3 is miles)
Time 7 hours: 13 minutes: 45 seconds
Average Speed 15.8 km/hour
Maximum Speed 52.4 km/hour
Metres Ascended 1959



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers