Sunday 14 June 2009: Ludlow to Rixton

There was a mist over the valley when I woke at about 4:30; superb views across Ludlow. I left at about 5:35 and headed into town via the bridge I used last night. I detoured slightly by going back into town because I liked the look of some of the narrow lanes. I went down the high street past the station and onto the A49. I'd planned to avoid it -- not really sure why -- but it was deserted at this time in the morning and anyway I almost immediately turned off onto the B4365. This took me across farmland. Although there was a blue sky and the sun was shining it was cold especially on fast downhills.

After Hungerford I turned left (Longville-in-the-Dale) and then right. At Kenley, at the junction where I turned left, I stopped for breakfast on a bench. This was 7:45 and I had done about 34K. I left at about 9 and continued in this leisurely way through the beautiful rural countryside -- dairy cows, sheep, some arable. Turned right through Coundmoor, onto the A458 for a short stretch, then through Atcham as I bypassed Shrewsbury on similar rural roads. Probably no need at this time on a Sunday morning but it was excellent cycling. I followed the NCN 45 until the B5062, where I turned right, then left at Roden. I went through Shawbury, Marchamley, where I was again on the NCN 45, Ightfield, Burleydam and then on the A530 all the way into Nantwich.

I arrived in Nantwich at about 1:50 pm. Very quiet with most of the shops closed.
Had a job to find a fast food place but eventually found a cafe where I had a full English. Cafe owner asked if I was doing LEJOG; seemed odd he'd assume that right in the middle of the country; he said quite a few stopped there – but then, it is on the CTC B&B route.

It being Sunday there were a lot of cyclists on the road.

I realised I should get to Haworth tomorrow but, I was a bit worried about the hill up from Hebden Bridge (a route I often cycled but I was apprehensive about doing it at the end of a long day with a fully loaded bike), so felt I should cycle further today to make tomorrow shorter. I thought I'd try and get to the campsite just over the Manchester Ship Canal at Rixton (just before the A57); it seem
ed to be the last before the industrial towns of Lancashire. I'd already done 104 K; the campsite was perhaps another 50 which would probably not be quite as pleasant as the ride so far today.

I took the B5074 to Winsford where I found the cycle track (NCN 5) and a sign which said Northwich 6 miles. Very gravelly to start with and then became quite narrow (and still gravelly). It then became concrete. Not bad really -- easy to navigate because well signed. At least it was until Northwich, where it ran alongside the River and suddenly went into industrial premises and I couldn't find a way out. So I got back onto the roads and used my compass to keep going in the right sort of direction. Stopped at a Sainsbury's garage, just as it was about to close, as I had no food for the evening meal nor anything for early tomorrow morning.

It was a bit confusing finding my way out of town but I managed using the compass (OS maps are not a very good when trying to navigate through towns -- for several towns I'd included street plans ‘pasted’ onto the OS maps I’d printed, but not Northwich). In fact I found the B5075 quite soon and it took me across the M6
then M56. At some point it became the B5159 which continued over the Bridgewater Canal and then the Manchester Ship Canal (toll bridge but free for cycles) and I immediately found the campsite. It was about 6:30 and I was feeling pretty good. 95 miles today but it was fairly flat. In fact 2 excellent days, mostly on very quiet roads

An interesting campsite. A few static caravans and a fairly large field of touring caravans and just a few tents. Everyone spoke with Liverpool accents and it woul
d seem quite a few kept a touring caravan here as a place to get away to at weekends. Very friendly site with lots of witty banter. A guy came over to look at my tent (couldn't believe anyone would get into anything so small) and then a few moments later came back with a cup of coffee.

Knocked together some pasta, pesto and Parmesan with sweet corn plus coffee then went out for a walk along the A 57. Not very inspiring. Found a pub but it was deser
ted and not very inviting so I gave it a miss. Went to bed at 10 am.

Campsite: Holly Bank Caravan Park, Warburton Bridge Road, Rixton, Warrington, Cheshire, WA3 6HU . £13. Facilities ok. Friendly site.



Statistics
Distance 152 .74 km (94.9 miles)
Time 8 hours: 57 minutes: 40 seconds
Average Speed 17.0 km/hour
Maximum Speed 49.4 km/hour
Distance from Lands End 662.10 km
Total Time cycling 41:03

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers