Thursday 25 June 2009: Dunbeath to Dingwall

Up at 4:30, off by 5:20. Down (and up) through Dunbeath. Sky looked promising although the sun was behind a cloud. Blue sky out to sea but clouds started at the coast. Wind from North-East and I was travelling south west. I'd been pretty lucky with the wind; only one day when it was really a problem, more often than not it had been behind me. Sun came out occasionally from behind the clouds. Soon after setting off there was an enormous bird of prey hovering just beside the road. I'd seen a lot but this was the nearest and probably largest.



Stopped at Brora for breakfast but the cafe was closed so I bought breakfast things in the Co-op. Just as I was heading off the cafe was being unlocked.

Couldn't find anywhere suitable to sit for breakfast until Golspie; then I was inundated with picnic tables. Nice spot by the sea. Made a cheese and tomato baguette (and a roll), fruit and two cream cakes plus coffee.

A cool breeze at breakfast but it was becoming a very warm day.
I'd gone really well and took the down and ups like Berriedale and Helmsdale in my stride. Crossed The Mound (beside Loch Fleet) then Dornoch Firth Bridge. I rode into the Glenmorangie distillery to have a nosey round; wondered about taking a tour or at least checking out the shop but didn't. Instead of bypassing Tain I went into the centre for a coffee, ended up having haddock and chips (and two coffees). On the way out of town, on impulse, I followed NCN Route 1 rather than returning to the A9. Not that there was anything wrong with the A9 but I fancied a change. It was a nice little detour where the whole time RAF planes were circling to do practice bombing runs. I spent a long time taking (not very good) photos. It was very slow and I lost a lot of time. I got back onto the A9 just before Milton where I had originally planned to leave it and detour through Invergordon. I decided against that because I had to get to the pharmacy in Dingwall to pick up my prescription before they closed. I had enough time but not for any more detours.

I made good time along the A9 and thought I would make it easily (I also thought "unless I get a puncture" -- I may even have said it out loud). I got a puncture! Before taking the tyre off I tried using the "Tyre Weld" stuff. Useless. As I was taking the rear wheel off I found the cassette lock ring had come undone and the small cog was off the cassette splines revolving freely. I’d had some problems changing into that cog in the last couple of days; rather than look to see what the problem was I just avoided it and changed on to the large chainring earlier instead. Probably a good job I got the puncture. Again, the Marathon Pluses had not let me down; it was the rim tape. It had perished over the spoke holes. Probably not designed for the sort of pressure I had in the Marathon Pluses. Replaced the tube and reinforced the rim tape with tyre patches. By the time I'd put the tyre back on (twice!) it was nearly 4:30; I wouldn't make Dingwall by 5:00 but should by 5:30 (surely they’d still be open ‘til then?) if I hurried. And now I needed to get to a bike shop as well for a spare tube and rim tape.

I rode like hell (well for me, anyway). The A9 was very busy with lots of HGVs. One logging truck with a trailer came very close and right behind it I saw a "wide load" lorry with a crane on it; luckily I was able to duck into a layby before he attempted to overtake. Cars could get past me quite easily but it was a problem for trucks which would often chug along behind me. There were quite a few laybys and I detoured through these to let the trucks by, but re-entering the carriageway without pausing (unless a truck was passing!).

I left the A9 just before the bridge (having assertively negotiated the roundabout) and entered Dingwall minutes before 5:30. I didn't recognize anything because I was on the one-way system. Eventually saw Tesco's, then Boots; locked the bike and ran in. Prescription was ready. "You look hot" she said! I then went to the cycle shop which I’d seen as I rode in. Nice place. Bought a tube and decent rim tape for both wheels (didn’t fit it ‘til I got home, though).

Went to the campsite; Tesco's for food; then back to the campsite where I cooked. Deviated from my usual meal and had stir fried vegetables with sweet chilli sauce, followed by pasta salad and peppered mackerel (most of it at clearance prices). I'd got into the habit of buying a couple of miniature bottles of wine to go with the evening meal (175 ml or 250 ml); tonight I saw some exceptionally cheap ones and just put them in the basket. Truly disgusting: "British wine 7%". Couldn't drink them. Fortunately I had a better one from the night before in my bag.

Then returned to the pub where the "traditional beer" would be available, "on Tuesday". It was now Thursday. "It's off"!!! Had to make do with Guinness again. Still, what a brilliant day. I’d felt really good as I raced down the A9.

Campsite: 2nd night at Dingwall Camping And Caravanning Club Site, Jubilee Park Road, Dingwall £5.87. Very good site, good facilities. Good location, close to town.


Statistics

Distance 127.32 km (79.1 miles)
Time 7 hours: 53 minutes: 56 seconds
Average Speed 16.1 km/hour
Maximum Speed 57.5 km/hour
Distance from Lands End 1758.9 km
Total Time cycling 111:41

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers