Equipment

The Bike

I've always toured on a fairly nondescript rigid "mountain bike" (A Shogun Trailbreaker 2). It was chosen for me by a bike shop working for an insurance company that was replacing an earlier bike that was stolen (and that was chosen at the first bike shop I found after the one before was stolen on my first ever cycling holiday). I received it by post without even trying it. Over the years virtually every component had been replaced often with second hand parts taken from other bikes (often better quality ones). It looked a bit of a mess particularly with the unmatched components e.g. two different brake levers. Despite its origins it was an incredibly comfortable bike for touring (and everything else for that matter), with a well broken in Brooks Flyer.

Unfortunately, many components needed replacing; this didn't seem economical particularly as the frame was also a bit tatty and I couldn't remove the cranks as the threads were gone. Initially, I thought this would be a good time to buy a dedicated tourer but eventually decided to use my mountain bike. This was a Halfords Carrera Fury which I'd got in 2006 when I was planning to retire to Haworth. I did do a fair bit of off-road on the moors but in the 2007/8 winter used it for road riding on the moors because it felt more stable in the wet and the disc brakes were less susceptible to damage from the salt and grit and general detritus than the rims of my touring bike (and a rear wheel rim had "exploded" when I was still in Essex, and I was nervous about the front wheel going on a fast descent). In the winter of 2008/9 I'd fitted slick tyres.

I tested the Carrera on my ‘Travelodge Tour’ and it was ok, although not as comfortable as it needed to be for long hours in the saddle (ie primarily the saddle but also the position). So I decided to make some changes and go with it. I raised the handlebars (stem riser - ebay) and moved them further back (shorter stem - ebay); fitted a Brooks saddle (A B67 for a more upright position); changed the cranks to 170 mm (2nd hand); fitted mudguards (a proper one from my other bike on the back and one of the plastic mtb efforts on the front); changed the cassette from 11-32 to 11-34; cut down the handlebars by an inch or so each side; and fitted the rear rack from my tourer. I've normally toured with both front and rear racks; I was going to replace the suspension forks with rigids but once I was sure I could get all my luggage on the back I decided not to bother. I also fitted the marathon plus tyres from my touring bike.

A Halfords Mountain bike would probably not be everyone’s first choice for this sort of trip and I wouldn’t be doing much overtaking. However, despite the suspension forks and with rack fitted it was 2.5 kg lighter than my previous ‘touring bike’!


Tools, Spares and Accessories:
  • 4” locking pliers (can be used as chain splitter)
  • 4” adj spanner (probably not needed with the above)
  • Allen keys (some the full ‘key’, others ‘bits’ to be used with locking pliers)
  • Screw driver ‘bits’
  • Cassette hypercracker
  • Puncture repair stuff: 1 metal & 1 plastic tyre lever, patches including one large piece, and rubber solution.
  • Tyre weld
  • 2 inner tubes
  • Gaffer tape
  • Elastic bands
  • Spare spokes
  • Spare chain connectors and short section of chain
  • Collection of first aid stuff & medication
  • Security chain and padlock
  • Cable ties, 1 bungee & several adjustable straps.

Luggage carrying

  • Tubus rack from old bike.
  • 2 Karrimor panniers (had for 15 years), each with a pocket at the back, which are useful for quick access to tools, gas burners & sun cream;
  • Tent and sleeping mat went on rack.
  • Karrimor clic-fix bar bag for camera, ipod radio, maps).
  • Small waist pack (for money, cards etc).
  • String bag which I clipped to the saddle rails. Originally for carrying food, it was also useful for keeping top layers handy when not needed and carrying damp clothes (so they could dry).

Camping Equipment

The tent: As I wasn't spending money on a new bike I decided to replace my £28 tent with a modern lightweight. I went for a Terra Nova Laserlight, Competition, which with the footprint groundsheet weighed just over 1 kg.

Sleeping Bag:
I decided to go with the lightweight (700g) sleeping bag I've had ever since I started touring. It's only "one season" and as all my touring has been on the continent in summer it's been fine. I was concerned I might encounter colder nights on this trip but decided I'd be okay if I supplemented the sleeping bag with a few extra layers if it became necessary.

Sleeping Bag Liner: Silk liner from Decathlon (clearance sale 8 years ago))

Sleeping mat: a ‘self inflating’ mat bought at clearance price (not as ‘self inflating’ as others but easy to inflate and v. light. Very comfortable.

Cooking equipment:

  • two Camping Gaz cookers using re-sealable cylinders (C270, C300 or C470);
  • two aluminium pans and kettle;
  • plastic plate, mug and wine "glass" (with detachable stem); spoon, fork and kitchen knife.
  • plastic strainer, wooden spoon,
  • corkscrew and tin opener;
  • plastic cafetier.

Miscellaneous

Camera: Konica Minolta Dimage Z10 (a wee bit old now with 8x optical zoom but only 3.2 Mpix
iPod: In addition to music, some podcasts (News Quiz, Now Show, In Our Time, Archers etc.)
Compass: Silva
Radio: Roberts Sports 994 (FM, LW & MW)
Mobile phone: V cheap PAYG
Front and rear LED lights: Cateye EL530 & LD1100
Washbag: concentated soap, toothbrush & Theramed (15ml) toothpaste, 2 disposable razors, shaving oil, tubeless biodegradable lavatory paper (essential for French campsites, although not in UK as it turned out)

Towel: lightweight (ie for camping)

Clothes

On the bike: two pairs cycling shorts, 1 pr Holly Hanson liners, cycling longs, Long sleeved top; short-sleeved top, fleece top, two pairs socks, cycling shoes, peaked cap, skullcap and two buffs. Helmet.

Cold and wet weather gear: Gore-Tex top, over trousers (cheap plastic), longsleeved Merino wool base-layer top, short-sleeved base layer top, longsleeved base layer top, thermal long johns, sealskin socks and gloves.

Eveningwear(!): lightweight outdoor trousers, three-quarter length trousers (useful for campsites and occasionally cycling), 2 pairs boxers and 2 pairs socks. I wore either pair of trousers with a suitable top from above.

Shoes: Diadora cycling shoes (normally I also take Teva sandles but didn't bother for this trip)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers