Friday 12 June 2009: Diggerland to Tidenham Chase

Up at 4:30 am; left campsite by 5:40. Pleasant country roads. Went wrong at Uffculme (twice). First time I had to turn round and come back, the second was just a hillier alternative. In both cases it was because I had assumed that my route on the ordnance survey minor roads was the "main road". I must take more care with map reading! I enjoyed these tiny lanes. I had decided today would be a "slow cycling" day; lots of stopping. The A 38 was very quiet at this time of the morning but I continued on the adjacent lanes. The A38 would have been quicker and easier but I was pleased with my choice. I went straight through Wellington to Taunton where I did pick up the A38. I stopped at Sainsbury's for breakfast stuff and seeing a cafe popped in for an Americano and a chocolate twist.

I saw from the map that there was a cycle path beside the canal which went to Bridgwater, so I thought I would deviate from the planned route. I followed the A38 out-of-town; shortly after a roundabout where it turned left I saw the cycle track so I took it. Unfortunately it just came to an end but I noticed a single track dirt path, which was going the right way and took that. I asked the owner of a yapping dog if the track was okay. She said "yes, but
there are steps at the end". I should have realised this was a footpath. After struggling through a cultivated field I made my way onto a road at Creech St Michael, where I found the track I should have been on beside the canal (and not the river!). The correct cycle path was NCP 3 rather than the NCP 33. This was much better. Stopped for breakfast on a bench. The path was mostly along the canal but occasionally along very minor roads. At Bridgwater I left the path and immediately saw the A39, which would take me out of Bridgwater. Unfortunately I set off in the wrong direction but a sign to "Minehead" triggered an O-level geography memory and I turned round.

I turned off onto the B3141, then the B3139 across Mark Causeway, north through Rooks Bridge, Loxton, Winscombe and Sandford where I stopped for a bite. I'd done about 90k. It was only 1:30pm but my map showed only two campsites before the Severn bridge and I didn't want to go that far. For some reason I had been convinced during the planning process that I wouldn't get beyond Bridgwater on the third day so I had simply checked out campsites in the vicinity and hadn't bothered with any more until the other side of the bridge. The marked campsites were 7 and 14 K. further on. I opted for the furthest, just before Clevedon (in fact two were marked close together, there). From Yatton I followed NCP 26 (minor roads). I was unable to find one site and the other didn't take tents or touring caravans.

Nothing for it but to carry on. I thought I'd treat myself to a hotel rather than aim for the next campsite I could see which was
at Sling. There was a motel marked on the map just after Portbury, but the whole area was snarled up with traffic trying to get onto the M5 and I was unable to find an obvious way in, so I carried on to Pill where I joined the cycle path and crossed the Avon Bridge, on a cycle track alongside the M5. This was pretty spectacular. I carried on (all the time keeping a lookout for Travelodges) staying on the 'cycleway' which was fairly well signed, rather than my planned route along the minor roads. I knew it led, albeit circuitously, to the Severn Bridge. In fact it went right round the houses through parks, woods etc. A kid looked up from his football and said "crap bike" and something about the back wheel, another said "no it's not" and a third "it's probably better than mine" the only broad Somerset accents, I heard. Suddenly the cycle path stopped being signed and I was no longer confident of going the right way. I went over two dual carriageways on traffic free but full road width bridges with signs saying "cyclists dismount". Why? I didn't. It was difficult judging where I was on the map - much easier on the road. I went through an industrial area, came out onto a road which led to the A403 which I could see went to the bridge so I took that. This was at about 5:20 but it was very quiet. It got busier, especially with HGVs, over the next half hour or so. For some of it there was a cycle lane which was fine until it became a 'dual use track' (ie the pavement)which I ignored. I was keeping up a reasonable speed with a gentle wind behind me but it seemed a long way to the bridge. I'd joined the A403 further south than I had thought.

I stayed
on the A403, went by the M4 bridge and carried on right up to the turning towards the cycle path crossing the bridge. The cycle path was easy to find and I was the only one on it the whole way across. It must be about 2 miles across. I started to feel a little odd and tight in the chest, and I was worried I might have overdone it (I'd done 95 miles at this point). I took it very easy up the very slight incline and coasted after the halfway point, into Wales. The cycle track went down to a tunnel under the motorway. This was very dark and I suddenly noticed (glowing fag ends) a massive bunch of kids sitting in the gloom at the side (one shouted something about my back wheel -- again! Perhaps there really is something wrong with it). There was another bunch further on. Not doing anything wrong (well at least that I could see) but I felt a little uneasy. I came out of the tunnel into a housing estate, up the hill and then downhill into Chepstow where I thought I'd find a hotel.

Tried two hotels, both full. The second said all hotels would be full because Oasis were playing in Cardiff (I’ve always hated that band!). He suggested a B&B slightly further on; couldn't find it, tried a pub instead. Asked barmaid if they did B&B; "dunno", she said while she finished pulling a pint. I waited, thinking she'd find out but she simply said "no, I dunno". So, I carried on across a small bridge back into England (Gloucestershire). Next campsite on the map was Sling, at least 10 miles and I was feeling worse. I phoned home for sympathy and then carried on up the hill, very slowly. I realised I'd not eaten since a large breakfast and a very small snack over 5 hours ago and this was probably the reason, so I rooted around in my bag and found some malt loaf and an apple.

I started looking for suitable places to put up the tent as I slowly pedalled up the hill, which seem to be getting steeper, when I came across a badly painted sign saying “campsite”. I headed up the track. After half a mile I was overtaken by a collie, followed after a minute or so by a jogger who said the campsite was about a mile or maybe less. I came to a farm which looked a bit of a mess but there were two fields with tents in them. I was looking at a notice board when three young girls (maybe 4, 6 and 8) asked if I needed any help? Was my bike heavy? Where was I going? What was my name? They took me to the mother of one of them who was splitting logs.

£3 50! What a superb site. Mainly tents with most involved in outdoor activities. There were lots of campfires (I'd have had one if I'd got there earlier and a little fresher). I had to make a meal from what I had left in my panniers as I'd not stopped to buy supplies (I'd intended having a meal out -- in the hotel!). So, it was (lots of) pasta and pesto with Parmesan. I also found a stale bread roll, which I sliced and fried in olive oil. It hit the spot.

So much for a quiet day! I’d done over 100 miles.

Went to bed at 10, out like a light until 4:30.

Campsite: Beeches Farm campsite, located on Miss Grace's Lane of
f the B4228 near Tidenham Chase. £3 50! Basic, but very reasonable facilities. Very friendly. Excellent find (not marked on the OS map). (Photo taken at 4:30am)


Statistics
Distance 167 .03 km (103.8miles)
Time 10 hours: 09 minutes: 09 seconds
Average Speed 16.4 km/hour
Maximum Speed 46.1 km/hour
Distance from Lands End 407.11 km


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers