Wednesday 1 July 2009: Reeth to Haworth

Woke at 5:20 and away at 5:50 (I was getting this packing-up down to a fine art). A beautiful still, quiet morning as I set off on the flat road to the river. Then a pig of a hill up to Grinton Moor but I was going well. It started to drizzle as I was going up the hill but the sun broke out fairly soon. There was a beautiful mist in the valleys.
At the top the road undulated a bit then a very fast downhill. Rabbits were scattering everywhere (and the odd pheasant). The rabbits were scared by the noise of my approach and ran from the undergrowth, where they were hidden, across the road from both sides, crossing in the middle; loads of them.

I turned into Redmire, then along to Carperby and left down to Aysgarth Falls. After crossing the river I went up an incredibly steep (but fairly short) hill. At the top the sign said 25%!

Along Bishopsdale and up Kidstones Gill, another steep incline (16%), then down to Starbotton and along to Kettlewell (I was now in day ride territory). Stopped for a coffee and ice cream at a farm shop in Cracoe. Then on to Skipton where I decided I would have a final meal in a nice vegetarian cafe I'd been to before. Then set off on the final leg, feeling very fit. Through Keighley, then up the very familiar but very dull A629 which I just steamed up and entered Haworth.
Just as I joined Mytholmes Road from Ebor Lane my phone rang (to find out where I'd got to). Whilst I was answering it, five old guys (well my sort of age) went past on touring bikes. I set off again and passed four of them who by then were pushing their bikes, then I passed the other one who was still riding. These were probably the only cyclists I overtook on the whole journey! A nice champagne moment to end on! The last one said "that's a bloody low gear you've got", "17 inch and I need it"; "I should think so with that bloody load!" At the top there was a sixth cyclist waiting for the others, "going far? " he said. "No, just over there".


Statistics
Distance 82.67 km (51.4 miles)
Time 6 hours: 7 minutes: 15 seconds
Average Speed 13.5 km/hour
Maximum Speed 54.6 km/hour
Distance since Lands End 2446.8 km (1520.37 miles)
Total Time cycling 159:04

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers