Monday 15 June 2009: Rixton to Haworth




Got up soon after 4:00. It had rained in the night but it must have sounded worse than it was. There was a low-lying mist rising from the damp ground but it looked like it would be a fine day. Left site at 4:55.
Probably a good thing as today it was industrial towns of Lancashire right through to Todmorden. Fairly quiet to start with but surprising how many cars were leaving drives to set off for work. Short section of the A57, then the B5212, A574, A572, A5082, A575, A6053, B6222, A58 and then the A6033. These took me through the outskirts of Tyldesley, Walkden, Farnworth, Bolton (Little Lever), Radcliffe, Bury, Rochdale and Littleborough.

As I got to about 35K I was beginning to feel tired. I'd been noticing the build-up of lactic acid in my legs for a few days now. Something I'd not noticed since my first long tours 15 years ago. I arrived at Rochdale town centre at about 8 am. Di
dn't fancy bread and pastries but thought a full English too much three days running so decided to go for beans on toast. Ended up with a full English at £3 50!

Traffic had built up gradually after 6 am but most of it seemed to be going the other way. A few sections were busy in my direction but no real problems. But there were two minor incidents. In the first I was following a line of cars; I was in the primary position as I went by a central bollard; a noisy go-faster-car pulled out to overtake but didn't see the bollard and only just stopped in time. In the second, a car was overtaking me, spotted a parking spot and tried to shoot into it. I shouted and she screeched to a halt. I ha
d a brief word (this was to be the only (slightly) cross words I had with a motorist -- or anyone else -- in the whole trip).

I headed out of Rochdale and immediately found signs to Halifax (A58). The road was up more of a hill than I was expecting and I rode for some way without seeing any further signs. A sign said "Whitworth" but meant nothing so I didn't bother to check. After a while I looked at the map to see how far I’d go
t towards Littleborough; I was on the wrong road! I cycled 6Km back down into Rochdale and took the A58. I'd wasted 45 minutes and added 12Km. I stopped in Todmorden for two bottles of drink and a Mars bar (my first and only the second bar of chocolate) all because I was apprehensive about the road up from Hebden Bridge. Why was it bothering me? I've often ridden it although not fully loaded. Okay, I will have done about 50 miles with six-day tired legs but it can't be compared to arriving at Chalet Reynaud when cycling up from Bedoin. I stopped at a cafe in Hebden Bridge for a strong coffee. So with energy drink, Mars bar and caffeine I should make it!

There were a few spots
of rain as I crossed into Yorkshire at Todmorden; the first while cycling on the whole trip. While I was in the cafe at Hebden Bridge there was an almighty thunderclap so I dashed out and covered the saddle; then a massive storm with rain and hail. I sat it out with a second coffee and a bowl of soup.

I arrived in Hebden Bridge at about 11:30 and I must have stayed there for about an hour and a half. There was still a slight drizzle when I set off but it stopped and the sun came out as I was starting up the hill. The hill turned out to be no problem at all. I stopped a few times on the top across the moor to take photographs and simply take in the view. I love this countryside; the sun was shining and the wet roads were beginning to steam. I enjoyed the downhill into Oxenhope and soon I
could see Haworth across the valley. I arrived home shortly before 2.

The ride today across industrial Lancashire was not one I'd been looking forward to mu
ch but I really enjoyed it. I guess it made a change from the rural rides of the last few days.

That evening I went to my local and had a couple of pints of Timothy Taylors Landlord; the best since I had set off! I discussed the journey with a friend and wondered whether I was going too fast. I was averaging 78 miles a day rather than the 50 or 60 I was aiming for. My main concern was that it will be over too soon. And I was going through interesting parts of the country too quickly. I decided I'd slow down a bit.

.
Statistics
Distance 92.18 km (57.3 miles)
Time 4hours: 56 minutes: 03 seconds
Average Speed 18.6 km/hour
Maximum Speed 48.3 km/hour
Distance from Lands End 753.61 km
Total Time cycling 50:42

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers